Things to do in the areaThere are quite a few interesting things to see and do in the local area. Marion is centrally located between Boston, Providence RI and Cape Cod and The Islands. New Bedford, MA is just 10 miles away. From New Bedford ferries are available to Martha’s Vineyard and Cuttyhunk Islands. Recommended day trips:
- The New Bedford Whaling Museum – just a 15 minute drive New Bedford was once the wealthiest city in the United States at the height of the whaling industry. This history is explored and preserved in an incredibly well done museum that resides in the historic district and modern waterfront of what is still an incredibly active commercial fishing port.
- Cuttyhunk Island is the last island in the Elizabeth Islands chain. It is just 12 miles south of New Bedford and can be gotten to in less than an hour on a small ferry that departs from the New Bedford waterfront. During the summer months there are several departures and returns per day. In the spring, fall and winter there are fewer runs but it is still possible to head over there in the morning and return on the same boat in the afternoon. In the winter only 29 families live on the island. In the summer the population swells to over 400. It is a fascinating place to visit, walk, photograph, charter fish and bird watch. The residents are particularly friendly.
- Martha’s Vineyard Island is considered another of the Elizabeth Islands and is the largest of the chain. It is 20 miles long and 9 miles wide and has picturesque villages, great seafood, walking, hiking, beaches, etc. You can take the ferry from New Bedford, Woods Hole, Falmouth or Hyannis. It also has some lots of shopping and it’s possible to rent either a bike a scooter or a car. They also have a bus service and cabs throughout the island. Although it’s possible to see a great deal of the island in a single day this island should also be considered for overnights simply for the volume of things to see and do.
- Nantucket Island is also nearby although to get there you must first drive 45 minutes to Woods Hole, MA (on Cape Cod) to catch a ferry. It’s also possible to bring your car if you are of a mind. An island of pristine beauty 14 miles long and 3.5 miles wide, Nantucket is a haven 27 miles out to sea with something for everyone; history and historic district, excellent food, lodging and shopping. Another famous whaling town in years gone by Herman Melville wrote of the island in Moby Dick.
- Boston is a short 60 minute drive from Marion and offers everything you would expect from a major (but small in area) U.S. city; universities, arts and entertainment, food, shopping, lodging to name just a few.
- Newport is 50 miles away by car, and easily accessible for a lunchtime visit or the whole day.